Thursday, May 04, 2006

Soda's Out, What's Next


Sugar Hyper
Originally uploaded by pupil.
You must already know about the ban of soda machines being kicked out of schools across the country. This seems to be a major win in the battle on obesity, but the war still goes on.

There are still snack vending machines, and companies like McDonald's still supply schools with food, so I'm sure those are the next things to be tossed out of schools in the coming months.

With all this talk of childhood obesity, I can't help but think back to the days when I was in high school. In the late 80s-early 90s, we were thrilled when we got a VeryFine juice machine. We had an SO (student organization) run store that was only open during lunch periods, and although our cafeteria served pizza (the kind you can only get from a public school cafeteria), we had at least three other options. In elementary school, the only beverage choices we had for lunch were milk or chocolate milk - I brown bagged, so I had my sandwich, a small snack, and my juice box. More kids were brown bagging than eating cafeteria food. I wonder how many kids get the brown bag treatment these days...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home