Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Lunch? What's That?


fat lunch
Originally uploaded by malyousif.
Looks like we all really are wage slaves after all, according to a survey that was just released by KFC. Lunch breaks are now an office myth, just like the 9-5 work schedule and fully paid benefits. More than half of US workers take a half hour or less to eat, spending the rest of the time on errands, checking personal email, or shopping online. More people eating at their desks more. Have we become so good at multitasking that we only need a few minutes to gobble down some food? Some workers feel that they are deemed more valuable and dedicated if they work away, not taking time for a breather. In the UK, this perception seems to ring very loud and according to a survey taken their, the average lunch break is 19 minutes and workers take 3.5 minutes to actually eat! Crazy - aren't they going to get sick from eating so fast? I have worked in both environments that encourage you to get out and places that encourage the desk lunch. From experience, I would say that productivity and motivation is personally higher for me when I get out and clear my head for a bit. When I would stay at my desk every single day, just going out to pick up food and quickly bring it back, I suffered from extreme burn out. That just shows you the long term effects of this crazy work ethic we've bestowed upon ourselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home