Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Last, At the Very Least

When you join forces with the love of your life, there are a few traditions that normally occur. The woman, of course traditionally takes on the last name of her husband and they live happily ever after. Well, in this post-feminist age and in an era where hipster/yuppie morals merge into one, it just seems perfectly normal to create your own name. One that is a combination of both, that proves your undying love and knowledge that the two of you are two equal partners.

In Sunday's Times, a columnist discusses her reasons for taking this step into marital bliss and justifies her reasons for creating a unique identity for both her and her husband. As one would expect, most find it weird. Me, I'm a traditional girl - when I take my trip down the aisle, I want my husband's name - not hyphenating, not creating something new. Hyphenating seems way too snobby and yuppie for me - I'm a down to earth girl, don't really like the idea of a multi-syllabic name that really doesn't quite roll off the tongue. Creating a new name? How wacky is that? Just seems like another hipster/trendy thing that doesn't make too much sense. Watch, I bet a bunch of Williamsburghers are gonna think this is the best thing ever and will happily shell out $500 for creating a custom name.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home