Friday, February 03, 2006

Smash Hits Going Under

Just read a bit on the YPulse blog about the Britpop magazine, Smash Hits ceasing publication. Goodness, that magazine brings back so many memories. I remember reading this once essential pop music magazine to find out about import releases and all things British (which was a pretty darn cool thing to emulate in the 80s). I used to tear out the pages and plaster them on my wall - Morrissey, New Order, Depeche Mode, Siouxsie. They gave the kind of coverage of new wave pop that US magazines ignored. This was the period before alternative was alternative and only one radio station even dared to be different here in NYC (that was the legendary Long Island station WDRE ). I remember going into the Village, which was a big deal when I was in high school, tracking down imported cds from the UK - because all of the best music came from across the pond. Reading Smash Hits was essential when I started high school - this is circa 1988. When each issue came out, it was devoured rather quickly. I'd read all of the reviews for new singles that weren't available here in the States yet and astonish my friends with my musical knowledge. Smash Hits gave me the irresistable urge to continuously feed my hunger for new music - something that I continue to this day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home