Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Losing It

A few short years ago, cell phones were a luxury. They weren't really necessary - convenient, sure - but necessary, not exactly. When I bought my first cell phone, it was heavy, cumbersome. It was ugly, too, and it was through a now extinct carrier - Omnipoint. It was 1999, and I bought it when I was in between jobs. It made a lot of sense to schedule interviews, give feedback, all that business-like stuff. Then, Omnipoint went under and I did without the phone for a while. Eventually, I got a new phone service complete with a new number and everything. Slowly, my cell phone became a complete necessity. Instead of shutting it off, I left it on 24/7. It was extremely useful when meeting potential suitors - no home phone number for crazies or the guys I had to think twice about (you know, after a night of drinks, your mind gets a little fuzzy). Essentially, it's a legit number that I didn't have to answer.

Now, fast forward a few years and so many people I know have given up their traditional landline. Why pay another bill? Why have a home phone, when in this day and age everyone is out and about and home is a refuge? So, what's to become of the traditional phone? I don't know. I still have my landline & it proved to be useful when reporting my cell phone as lost. I used to keep it for internet access, but once I got my laptop, I discovered that my AirPort is detecting signals from my neighbors which I take complete advantage of. I can barely count on one hand the people who call me on it along with the number of times I've used it to call anyone on a monthly basis. My cell has become my everyday phone and has totally become indispensable.

About a month ago, I needed to replace my last-generation cell phone as the screen was completely shot. Coincidentaly, I got an offer in the mail for a new phone for free when I extended my contract. Yesterday I realized that my coat pocket was a little lighter and I noticed that this essential communication device was missing. I checked the office - no dice. Was a little pissed, but not as much as I thought I'd be. So, instead of saying that I can live without my cell phone, like Marc has been doing for about a month now, I got on the train to Forest Hills, and went to the Cingular store. I replaced it with an identical Samsung phone which cost a whopping $150 - which is exactly $150 more than I spend in the first place. When asked if I wanted insurance, I paused, said no, recalled this event in my head, then quickly changed my mind. Better to be safe than sorry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home