Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Will iSuccumb?

I am part of the old-school. I prefer cds to mp3s & I guess that's considered old-fashioned by now, but I like having beautiful cover art, something I could put my hands on. A few years ago, before the iPod craze began, I was among the first to purchase an mp3 cd player. I thought I was so high tech.

Apple is trying to woo me. It was just announced that they are adding a new iPod nano at the 1 gb mark, priced at an affordable $149. The 512 mb iPod Shuffle is marked down to an I-don't-know-if-I-can-resist $69. I sure am tempted. Then again, I've been championing the fact that I am one of the last people on the face of the planet without an iPod - an item that has become synonymous with mp3 player (even a competing product uses the ubiquitous "i"). It's become an essential accessory.

Riding the 7 train home this evening, I carefully observed my surroundings. I was carrying my old clunker - as big as a Plymouth Duster. It fell and made this big thud on the ground. My fellow riders ignored me, but I couldn't help but notice everyone wearing those little white earbuds with wires leading neatly to their pockets. I curse at them as I hold my cd player under my arm, just so I could read a magazine freely. I remember when portable cd players first came out, and the main issue critics had was the true lack of portability. The iPod is calling my name and I may finally answer to the House of Jobs - heck I just got my iBook - may as well become a full fledged convert, huh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home