Saturday, May 13, 2006

Geek Prom


VIP Geek
Originally uploaded by massdistraction.
With prom season in full swing, some of us adults are starting to wax nostalgic on our high school days. Personally, I didn't go to the prom because I was firmly anti-establishment and didn't want to be seen as a poseur. Truth is, I couldn't get a date and didn't want to own up to it. Plus, I didn't feel like I really fit in. Sometimes I wonder what it would have been like to go to the prom, but hey, I'm not losing sleep over it.

Enter Geek Prom - an annual event for those of us outsiders who didn't get a chance to go the first time around or had a miserable experience at theirs. It was started in Duluth, MN by Paul Lundgren whose first event was in Minnesota in 2002. The whole point of the event is to let your inner geek out and not feel like you need to fit into any specific category of coolness. Sounds totally awesome to me.

With the popularity of Geek Prom, the idea of having an adult prom night has spread beyond Duluth as an evening of cheesy music, punch bowls, and pouffy dresses.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home